The Department of Pathology, Federal Medical Centre Asaba was created on 12th October, 2011 with late Dr. T. Y. Oyebadejo as the pioneer Head of the Department (HOD). The Department is composed of efficient staff who provide excellent laboratory services in Anatomic Pathology to the clinical services and also engage in research. The department is housed in a building named after the pioneer Head of Department.
To establish and align with the institutions goals and sustain a Pathology facility which will render services in Asaba and beyond, and that would meet current international standards in Laboratory Medicine
To further develop our services and maintain acceptable international standards in Laboratory Medicine, ensuring prompt contribution to the management of patients and become a major player in regional, national and international practice and research in Anatomic Pathology.
The department is now multi-disciplinary comprising six sub-units viz:
Services rendered in the department include and are not limited to:
- Histo/Cytopathology Services (with modern pathology equipment such as Automated Tissue Processor, Auto stainer, Embedding station, Cryostat, Digital microscopes, etc.) with intra and inter-institutional consultations.
- Clinical Autopsy/Forensic Pathology Services
- Mortuary/Anatomic Cosmetology Services (both embalmment and refrigeration services)
- Anatomic Potting Services
- Intra-operative Consultation Services
- Training and Research